Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Roller Coaster: Malaise

This is the third post in a special bi-weekly series.  It's a sequel to The Longest Weekend of My Life series.  Please check back next Wednesday for Part 4.

Part 3: Malaise

My husband and I had errands to run, but I thought we'd be back within an hour so I could be home when the midwife called back. However, when we got back home there was no sign of her call. I felt alright for the most part. I wasn't having any serious cramping, just some aching in my lower back. That was normal for me during menstruation, so I decided to stay calm and wait things out.

Then I got tired, and grumpy, and headachy, and things started to go downhill. I should probably explain that for me, getting tired usually leads to grumpiness, and sometimes also leads to a migraine. During pregnancy, especially in the first trimester, I feel tired a LOT, which means I have a tendency to get very grumpy, and the migraines come more frequently. Add onto that the fact that my back was aching more, and I was feeling ever so slightly crampy in front, and I was starting to feel nauseated.

I wanted to lie down, curl up in a ball, and sleep. But, my kids wanted my attention and I didn't think they would be calm enough for me to lie down for a while. I decided to take the two youngest outside and sit in the grass. I often find this soothing and relaxing, and it can help me calm down within a matter of minutes. My kids, on the other hand, had other things in mind. They wanted to run from the grass into the gravel driveway and get dangerously close to the road. It didn't matter how many times I sweetly asked them to “come back to mama”, or simply yelled at them to “get back here right now”, they wanted to be anywhere but in the grass with me.

I brought the kids inside and left them to their own devices while I curled up on my bed and tried to get some rest. It was interrupted often by voices from the other room, but I did my best to ignore it all. I heard my husband gripe more than once about having to wrangle the little ones while he and the older kids were trying to play games, but I knew they were fine even if they themselves were a bit grumpy.

The nausea passed, and even the slight cramping and aching eased a bit. I was a little less grumpy when I got up, and I was able to deal with my family the rest of the evening, in a mostly pleasant manner. I was really glad I'd put dinner in the slow cooker in the morning. It had been cooking all day and I didn't have to make dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment