Thursday, February 5, 2009

Study: Elective C-section babies born before 39th week face risks

You learn something new every day. At least, I do, and I like it that way.

I just learned today that babies born via Cesarean Section are more likely to have respiratory problems compared to babies born vaginally. A recent study tracked more than 24,000 women who had repeat c-sections performed at 37 weeks or later. Of those women, 13,258 had elective c-sections, meaning it was simply by choice with no medical basis for the surgery. Some of the main points of the study are:
  • Over one-third of women are having elective repeat Cesareans. This is a significant number.
  • Delivery just 3 or 4 days before 39 weeks led to increased complications.
  • Respiratory problems are more likely with repeat c-sections, as well as other complications, particularly when the surgery is done before 39 weeks or after 40 weeks gestation.
  • Parents and Doctors should wait until the 39th week to deliver via repeat elective c-section, and no later than the 40th week.
If you'd like to read the article yourself, please click on the link in the top paragraph. I found this article through another blog.

1 comment:

  1. I know someone who had a 3rd c-section and their son had a very unusual wee zing problem. I think it was a combo of the c-sec, smoking and immediate formula usage. Let me clarify, a coworker, not a friend, I cannot support a smoking, pregnant mother.

    ReplyDelete