Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Excellent Comprehensive Information on Pregnancy and Childbirth Care and Options

I found an incredibly informative article through another blog the other day, and I took the time to read it completely before passing it on to my readers. It's an article written by Marsden Wagner, M.D. and posted online just last month. I've seen Dr. Wagner on some of the films I've watched about childbirth, and I'm sure I've read excerpts from his books in the various works I've read on the subject. The article is entitled "Natural Birthing Options: Technology in Birth- First Do No Harm" and it's an excellent read! It's long, but gives a concise summary of the medical childbirth system that currently exists in the United States today, and the risks and benefits attributed to it. He also gives advice on what expectant parents should do to ensure they get the right information and what to do about it.

Every expecting woman should read this article. It's much shorter than any book on the subject, and gives great information. If you are interested in reading more than an online article, please check my list of Recommended Reading on the right side of this page. One book in particular that I found to be informative is Henci Goer's Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth.

If you are a more visual person, I would recommend watching the documentary film, The Business of Being Born by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein. I was able to check the DVD out from my local library, but you can also purchase a copy of the film from their online store. It's an excellent documentary that discusses the maternity care system in the United States and the effectiveness of it.

I believe that all women should be informed and know what their options are and what the risks and benefits are for all of those options. We need to make informed decisions rather than simply go along with what someone tells us is best. Empower yourself!

Here is a link to Dr. Wagner's website

No comments:

Post a Comment