Monday, March 7, 2011

Photos and Descriptions of Various Birth Positions

Photo depicting a pioneer woman birthing in a seated position
I recently found this wonderful blog post about birthing positions:


 I particularly like all the photos. I often hear about different birth positions, but it's really nice to have pictures of them all in one place to get a better idea of how it works.

With all four of my hospital births I was in the lithotomy position, but with my home birth I assumed a classic, semi-sitting position without being coached by anyone. I also found it felt right to stretch my body out as I pushed, rather than scrunching up like many doctors and midwives have women do in the hospital. I feel it's important for women to choose their own birthing positions based on what feels best for their body. As long as mom isn't affected by medications and listens to her instincts she will be able to find the best position for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment