Monday, April 12, 2010

Thyroid Problems Linked to Serious Pregnancy Complications


I ran across this article:


I had never considered the possibility before that a thyroid problem could cause complications in pregnancy. The article is pretty compelling, and after reading it I think it would be a good idea for all pregnant women to be tested for thyroid problems. I've never had any thyroid problems personally that I'm aware of, but I haven't been tested either.

The article states that thyroid problems have been linked to such complications as miscarriage, high blood pressure, preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, premature delivery and low birth weight babies.

These are common complications, and I'm always looking for ways to help women stay low risk by avoiding such complications.

I decided to post a discussion on the forums at My Best Birth, and I was pleasantly surprised by the responses from the many women there. What I discovered from their feedback is that thyroid problems, whether it's hyperthyroidism or hypothryoidism, often go undetected because many times there are no symptoms and a woman doesn't know she needs to be tested. If it goes untreated, thyroid problems can indeed lead to serious complications as listed above, as well as posterior and breech presentation!

I have more articles for you on the subject:
I think that routine thyroid tests should be done when you see the doctor for any checkup, not only during pregnancy. I strongly feel that all women, pregnant or not, should know about this and see their doctor about having a thyroid test.

1 comment:

  1. Natural thyroid supplement is an extremely effective fat burner but a surefire way to push thru it is to wash it down immediately with water then put a pinch of shredded Parmesan cheese in your mouth(the strength of the cheese flavor knocks out that nasty aftertaste in your mouth )...hope this helps you :)

    ReplyDelete