I've had pain like this with each pregnancy, but it's never happened as early as 12 weeks before, and so severely at that point. I know that the relaxin hormone is loosening my joints, and that has something to do with the popping in and out, and the pain.
I tried a lot of things to see what helped. I drank extra minerals in my water, and drank lots of water. I took an epsom salt bath. I later took a hot shower, on my hands and knees in the shower with the water aimed at my low back/sacrum while I did pelvic rock exercises.
I think I have Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD), and have had it with each pregnancy. There are no cures, but there are coping techniques.
- Prenatal exercise: After my shower last night I did some stretches and tailor sitting on the floor, and it helped even more with the pain. If I strengthen the muscles that hold everything together it should help lessen the movement and discomfort. I hope to incorporate exercise and stretching into my daily routine.
- A good supportive pregnancy belt: I have one that's essentially a 3 inch wide elastic band. I've worn it with each pregnancy, but it doesn't quite give enough support with the increased pain of each one. My sister has a better support belt she'll let me borrow. If it doesn't help enough then I'll look into other models. If any of you have suggestions of good supportive pregnancy belts, please feel free to share!
- Regular chiropractic care: I had this for my second pregnancy and it did help. However, the relief was usually temporary and I had to go back a few times a week. The chiropractor taught me some really good stretches that I've used through each subsequent pregnancy.
- Pain relief: I'm hoping to avoid medication. I plan on using hot and cold compresses instead, and sleeping with lots of pillows to support my joints.
- Good nutrition: This something I was doing well at before I got pregnant. However, the constant hunger in the first trimester made me a lot less picky about what I ate. I need to get more fresh fruits and vegetables in my diet, and I'm sure it will improve my overall health, even my muscles and joints. I'll continue taking my awesome nutritional supplements and drinking my water with minerals.
I'm sure there are other things that can help. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to share them. I can use as much information as I can get. I really need to feel better.