by Penny Simkin, PT, CD (DONA)
Answers to the following questions will help you participate in your care responsibly and help you know what to expect.When A Test is Suggested:
- What is the reason for it? What problem are we looking for?
- What will it tell us? How accurate or reliable are the results?
- If the test detects a problem, what will happen next?
- If the test does not detect a problem, what will happen next?
- What is the problem? Why is it a problem? How serious is it? How urgent is it that we begin treatment?
- Describe the treatment. How is it done? How likely is it to detect or solve the problem?
- If it does not succeed, what are the next steps?
- Are there risks or side-effects to the treatment?
- Are there any alternatives (including waiting or doing nothing?)
- Ask questions 2, 3, and 4 about any alternatives.