Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Excellent Breastfeeding Article

I've read so much about breastfeeding in my studies, including Dr. Jack Newman's Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers. I've breastfed my own four babies each for at least a year, and I thought I was pretty well-informed about breastfeeding. That is, until I read this article:

The Backlash Against Breast is Best: Why Is Breastfeeding Under Attack?

Written by Jennifer Block and posted on the Business of Being Born website, this article is excellently written, in response to an article entitled "The Case Against Breastfeeding" written by Hannah Rosin for Atlantic Magazine.

The article addresses some political and cultural pressures, and why women today are feeling that they don't have the support they need to breastfeed their babies. It opened my eyes, and I hope you will take some time to read it.

For more information about breastfeeding, please read The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers by Dr. Jack Newman, or see La Leche League, The Baby-Friendly Initiative, Breastfeeding.com, or the Utah Breastfeeding Coalition. If you have any additional breastfeeding resources to share, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment