Monday, January 10, 2011

Favorite Pregnancy and Birth Books

I recently posted on the Mamas and Babies facebook page asking for pregnancy/birth book recommendations from the wonderful community there. I'd like to pass on the list that I compiled based on the responses I got:

I said: "I think my most favorite is Childbirth Without Fear by Grantly Dick-Read, because it's so simple and beautiful. It goes back to the basics of trusting your body and the natural function of birth, and how it's so possible for virtually every woman."

From Shiloh: "I love both the Ina May Gaskin books especially her newest one. Ina May's Guide to childbirth."

Kasie: "I have two. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (because she is awesome, and I love all the beautiful, empowering birth stories), and Childbirth Without Fear, because everything Dr. Grantly Dick Read said in it makes so much sense. I love that he held pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding in such high esteem. Wish we had more OB's like him around today."

From Jeannette: "I like "Spiritual Midwifery". I wrote a review of it on my Youtube page. Check it out."

Donna said: "gentle birth gentle mothering its just a great book"

From Rachel: "Birthing From Within, for the inside-of-the-mother-centered viewpoint and for the pain-management techniques and for the nonjudgmental presentation of options. Most of all, for all the stories and art, which gave me a lot of new ways of thinking about pregnancy and birth and myself and society."

Liev: "anything Ina May Gaskin :)"

Lauren said: "Ina May and Henci Goer books."


Mara: "I love Ina May as well but just ordered Birthing from Within and Mind over Labor to help prepare and get rid of fear for labor/birth number 3"

Gretchen: "Ina May's guide to childbirth" because it made me realize how much power over my own labor I have, it made me reconnect to my mammalian roots through a little spirituality and a ton of science!"

From Townley: "I concur with the "Birthing From Within" review. I felt it gave me tools to prepare for laboring, birthing and parenthood. I loved reading birthstories as well, but is was doing the art projects and journaling that helped to get it to a visceral level. I recommend it to all my doula clients."

Kelly said: "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth & Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth"

Becky said: "Natural Childbirth The Bradley Way...It is very in depth and its hard to explain but it is like a birth class in a book! Its my all time favorite, and my husbands too..he used it all during my early labor."

From Jenny: "Ina May's books and Penny Simkin's Pregnancy Childbirth and the Newborn it's what parents need to know about hospital procedures and hospital births and what questions to ask!"

No comments:

Post a Comment