Friday, September 17, 2010

Why So Many C-sections?

Often when I talk with people about the dangers of c-sections they ask me:


"If c-sections are so bad, then why are they so common?"


My response is simple:


If something goes wrong with a vaginal birth and it goes to court, the doctor will be asked "Why didn't you do a c-section?"


If something goes wrong with a cesarean birth, the doctor can say to the court "We did everything we medically could."


It's called liability, and often referred to as "Defensive Medicine".

1 comment:

  1. I was in labor for 36 hours before my daughter was born. When I reached about 9 cm and stayed there for 4 hours they told me that if I did not progress they would have to label me a failure to progress and that I would have to get a c section. That was the last thing I wanted. I let them crank up the pitocin even more than what it already was and then came my angel. I want to avoid a c-section at any and every cost. Im glad I had a Midwife who was willing to work with my birthing experience rather than give me a csection as my first option.

    Beth weighed 8lbs 10oz. That explains why my small frame took so long to get her out :)

    ReplyDelete