Sunday, December 7, 2008

Excellent Story on ABC.com about Home Birth vs. Hospital Birth

I would love to imbed the video of this ABC story here in my blog, but couldn't find a way to do it. Please check this out: The Business of At-Home Births on abc.com. The story was done in June 2008 when some of the big controversy between Ricki Lake and the American Medical Association was rising up. It's really well done, and I think it presents the different sides effectively. Please watch the video all the way to the end, because there is an obstetrician they interview at the end who offers some good information about home birth.

Please set your TiVo, DVR or VCR for your local ABC channel this Friday, December 12. 20/20 will be doing an hour-long special on motherhood. It will include interviews with Ricki Lake and other natural childbirth advocates. ABC has stated it will present both sides equally, and I'm very interested to see how it turns out. It airs at 9:00 pm MST. I think that's 11/10 Central. Please check your local listings.

2 comments:

  1. Mainstream media is starting to listen! I think this is because many of their writers and producers are having babies, and therefore seeing first-hand how interventive hospital birth has become. If all goes as planned, ABC will be posting another homebirth article this week in conjunction with a segment they're doing this Friday on "20/20." Ricki will be featured, as will several other homebirth advocates (including me!). Of course, there will also be negative comments from OB's but I've been told the segment will be "fair and balanced." I guess we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comments, Laura! I was actually searching abc.com for that 20/20 special feature, but they don't have it up yet. That's when I ran across this story, which I hadn't seen before. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the 20/20 special turns out!

    ReplyDelete