Monday, June 14, 2010

Celebrating Our Glorious Goddess Bodies


"Studies show that over half of all girls are unhappy with their bodies by the age of thirteen."

I believe it. I was one of those girls, and it has taken me years to learn to love and accept myself as I am. Interestingly, it was through motherhood that I came to honor and respect my body. It was a gradual process, part of my birth transformation. As I learned to embrace my body's ability to birth a baby without medical intervention, I came to see my body as a beautiful thing, made to create, nurture and love. The soft curves of my body are comforting to my children, who love to nestle in my lap and snuggle.

Having a baby girl has helped too. I look at my beautiful little girl and everything about her is lovely. She's 2 years old and she is all girl and it's a blessed thing, especially with 4 brothers! I look at her and think of the amazing things she will be and do in her life, and many of those things will be her privilege because she is a daughter of God. If she at age 2 is so lovely then I am lovely as well, just for being her mother. I want to be the best example I can be, and I want her to have more understanding of her inner and outer beauty than I did as a child. This helps me embrace myself as a woman and a mother, and it encourages me to strive to be better for her.

I believe every girl has the potential to be a goddess, and part of that is embracing ourselves for who we are and loving our spirits and our bodies.

I like this article in the way it encourages women to appreciate themselves, imperfections and all, and learn to love the goddesses they are.


2 comments:

  1. I love this. I really wish that we talked more to young women about the miracle of birth and breastfeeding. I think it would help them keep an eternal perspective on their lives and on their bodies. There is so much oppostion to women that is directly connected to their bodies and I think the fact that so many women are afraid and distanced from their bodies just makes the Devil's work easier.

    I just found your blog and it is wonderful. THanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand completely- I was very insecure about my body until I became pregnant...and through that process I learned that I really am made to have babies! I am finally happy with my appearance and so much more confident with myself...even though I gained 30 pounds when I was pregnant it didn't bother me at all, even after obsessing over my weight for 10 years. It's really liberating, and I hope that I can raise my daughter to be a more confident young woman than I was.

    ReplyDelete